Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Baking Stomboli

Monday night Sherry and her kids, Chris and my family all went out to get our Christmas trees. We had a lot of fun. Amber made everyone hot cocoa to take along and when we got back to Sherry's house we enjoyed hot apple pie from Apple Hill with ice cream. So now we are working on getting our tree decorated. It is our tradition to have Sausage Stromboli when we decorate the tree. This is the only time I make it and it is so good. The original recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine. I have modified it somewhat in that I use my dough from Three loaves of Bread which is part whole wheat flour. I also use a preservative free sausage. Try it! I have my own kneading technique. I beat the dough mixture adding one cup flour at a time until it is too thick to beat. Then I stir in as much more as possible before turnig out onto floured surface. Here I used freezer wrap paper to knead on. I dampened the table underneath to keep the paper from sliding around. After each fold I press the dough out flat using a rocking motion with my knuckle. I have better success getting to the smooth surface with this method. It cuts my kneading time at least in half.

Ahhhh... the grand finale! Want a piece? Here is the recipe *wink*

Recipe:
Dough from Three Loaves of Bread divided in half or 3 loaves of frozen Bridgeford bread
2 lbs of bulk sausage, cooked, drained and cooled
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
2 eggs plus one more
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 Tbs Parmesan cheese
  1. Mix together in large bowl, cooked sausage, 2 eggs, basil and cheese.
  2. After first rising of bread dough, roll out into two rectangle shapes.
  3. Spoon sausage mixture down one side of dough within one inch of edges.
  4. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal.
  5. Cut four diagonal slits across top of Stromboli.
  6. Beat remaining eggs and brush onto top of Stromboli.
  7. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  8. Cover (I never cover mine) and let rise until doubled, about 45 min.
  9. Bake at 375 for 20 min or until golden brown.
  10. Slice; serve warm.
Yield: 2 loaves
***Don't forget to enter my first give away of 1 lb of my secret recipe for Pumpkin fudge:
Autumn Give-Away

No comments: